vendredi 12 décembre 2008

Defrosted Toes

I have my first exam tomorrow, yes a Saturday, and a early Saturday morning at that.... 8:30am! Ouch! Oh well! I just had some friends come over and we filled our brains with as much information about the history of the French Republic while nibbling on treats of chocolates, nuts, cookies, and chevre (yum!) so it was a nice mix of fun and work.

I am hoping I can get up in the morning; it is a really hard thing to to in Paris for two reasons: 1. at 8am it is still dark out, so my body thinks I am crazy for wanting to leave my warm bed for the cold, dark world. And 2. Paris is not an early morning city, meaning nothing opens before 9:30am, except bakeries. So, there is less of an incentive to get your day started, "Why should I get out of bed when I can't get anything really done?" There is no going to the post office, no bank, no grocery stores (they might open a little earlier than 9:30 but I am not sure... something I will probably never learn!), no school library. Nada.

A total side note: I wore open-toe shoes today... one word: stupid! I had to walk from school to the Louvre, where I attend an art history class (oh so cool) and halfway there, I couldn't move my toes! I kid you not, when I arrived at the Louvre with pins in my feet, I had to sit down to let my tows defreeze. I felt so stupid, and everyone's glances assured me of this. No French woman in her right mind would wear open toe shoes this time of year, she is clearly not French... their eyes were telling. I'll admit, as an Arizonian girl, I do not know how to dress for the cold. Something I am hoping I will learn soon...

Okay, I must go to bed and get a good night's sleep before my exam... keeping my fingers (and recently defrosted toes) crossed that it goes well. Nighty-night!

Aucun commentaire: